NOTE: On September 8, 2006, Patrick Frantz left full-time employment at Rice University to start a new career in Tokyo, Japan. These pages are maintained primarily for archival purposes.
Publications & News
Note: To properly view this page, you may have to change your browser text encoding to UTF-8 to enable rendering of the Japanese fonts.
In the News
News clippings from the Rice News and Sallyport magazine.
A partial list of my publications:
- S. So, G. Wysocki, P. Frantz, F. Tittel, Development of Digital Signal Processor controlled Quantum Cascade Laser based Trace Gas Sensor Technology, IEEE Sensors, (Accepted, October 2006).
- C. Matherly, P. Frantz, S. Turner, and D. Gulick, INNOVATE: Preparing Technical Graduates for the Global Workplace, 2nd International Conference on Knowledge, Technology and Society, Hyderabad, India, (December 2005).
- P. Frantz and Y. Yamada, Development of Japanese-language DSP Education Content in the Connexions Project, International Mini-Conference on Information Electronics System, Sendai, Japan, (October 2005).
- B. Johnston, X. Yin, A. Valenzuela, P. Frantz, A Fast Algorithm and Testbed Evaluation for Sound Source Localization Using Sensor Networks, IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC), Dallas, TX, (September 2005).
- P. Murphy, P. Frantz, B. Aazhang, Design of the Transit Access Point Hardware Platform, European Signal Processing Conference, Antalya, Turkey, (September 2005).
- M. Gadhiok, R. Hardy, P. Murphy, P. Frantz, H. Choi, J. Cavallaro, An FPGA-based Daughtercard for TI’s C6000 family of DSKs, International Conference on Microelectronic Systems Education (MSE), Anaheim, CA, (June 2005).
- C. Matherly and P. Frantz, INNOVATE: Preparing Engineering Graduates to Be Global Leaders, 4th Global International Internship Congress, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, (April, 2005).
- P. Frantz, R. Baraniuk, H. Choi, D. Jones, Multilingual Open-Content Signal Processing Laboratories in Connexions, IEEE Tencon, Chiang Mai, Thailand, (November 2004).
- G. Wysocki, S. So, M. McCurdy, C. Roller, D. Weidman, P. Frantz, R. Curl, F. Tittel, Quantum Cascade Laser Spectrometer for Trace-Gas Detection of Exhaled Carbonyl Sulfide, Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, pp. 759-759, Volume 1, San Francisco, CA, (May 2004).
- P. Murphy, F. Lou, A. Sabharwal, P. Frantz, An FPGA Based Rapid Prototyping Platform for MIMO Systems, Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers, Asilomar, CA, (November 2003).
- P. Murphy, F. Lou, P. Frantz, A Hardware Testbed for the Implementation and Evaluation of MIMO Algorithms, IEEE International Conference on Mobile and Wireless Communications Networks, (October 2003).
- P. Murphy, P. Frantz, C. Dick, An FPGA Implementation Of Alamouti's Transmit Diversity Technique, University of Texas WNCG Wireless Networking Symposium, Austin, TX, (October 2003).
- C. Steger, P. Radosavljevic, P. Frantz, 802.11b Operating in a Mobile Channel: Performance and Challenges, Communications Design Conference, San Jose, CA, (Accepted, September 2003).
- P. Frantz, H. Choi, R. Baraniuk, DSP Education At Rice University, Texas Instruments TMS320 Educators Conference, Tokyo, Japan, (September 2003).
- P. Murphy, E. Welsh, P. Frantz, R. Hardy, T. Mohsenin, J. Cavallaro, VALID: Custom ASIC Verification and FPGA Education Platform, International Conference on Microelectronic Systems Education (MSE), pp. 66-67, Anaheim, CA, (June 2003).
- E. Welsh, W. Fish, P. Frantz, GNOMES: A Testbed for Low-Power Heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Networks, IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), Bangkok, Thailand, (May 2003).
- C. Steger, P. Radosavljevic, P. Frantz, Performance of IEEE 802.11b Wireless LAN in an Emulated Mobile Channel, IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC), Jeju, Korea, (April 2003).
- P. Murphy, V. Bharadwaj, E. Welsh, P. Frantz, A DSP-Based Platform for Wireless Video Compression, Globecom, pp. 1754-1758, Volume 2, Taipei, Taiwan, (November 2002).
- E. Welsh, P. Murphy, P. Frantz, A Mobile Testbed for GPS-Based ITS/IVC and Ad Hoc Routing Experimentation, International Symposium on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications (WPMC), pp. 796-800, Volume 2, No. 5, Honolulu, HI, (October 2002).
- P. Frantz, A Prototype Platform for a Multitier Network Interface Card (mNIC), Communications Design Conference, San Jose, CA, (September 2002).
- T. Robinson, N. Peleg, J. Rhodes, P. Frantz, Benefits of DSP Extra-curricular Activities: A Look at the Texas Instruments DSP and Analog Challenge, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Orlando, FL, (May 2002).
- P. Murphy, E. Welsh, P. Frantz, Using Bluetooth for Short-Term Ad-Hoc Connections Between Moving Vehicles: A Feasibility Study, IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC), pp. 414-418, Volume 1, No. 55, Birmingham, AL, (May 2002).
- E. Welsh, P. Murphy, P. Frantz, Improving Connection Times for Bluetooth Devices in Mobile Environments, International Conference on Fundamentals of Electronics Communications and Computer Sciences (ICFS), (March 2002).
Publications in Japanese
Some papers I have written with my colleagues in Japan, in particular, Yoji Yamada at Ishikawa National College of Technology.
- 山田洋士, 高領博典 and J. Frantz, Connexionsプロジェクトの紹介とDSP教育用コンテンツの開発, IEICE 電子情報通信学会 20th SIP Symposium 2005, Shikoku, Japan, (November, 2005).
- 山田洋士 and J. Frantz, ConnexionsプロジェクトによるDSP教育用コンテンツの開発, 第7回ＤＳＰＳ教育者会議, Tokyo, Japan (September, 2005).
- P. Frantz, R. Baraniuk, H. Choi and D. Jones, Connexionsによる多国語オープンコンテンツ信号処理実験, 第6回ＤＳＰＳ教育者会議, Tokyo, Japan (September, 2004).
Pre-Rice Conference Presentations
"Bar Coding for Quality Control and Data Management" 6th International Automation in Mapping and DNA Sequencing Conference, Cambridge, UK (September, 1999)
"A DNA Sequencing Robot at the BCM Human Genome Sequencing Center" 5th International Automation in Mapping and DNA Sequencing Conference, Washington University, St. Louis (October, 1998)
A tutorial I have written for Cadence's OrCAD PCB design software. The tutorial is desigend around OrCAD version 9.2. This is a zip file with the tutorial and all of the files referenced in the text. This tutorial is now maintained in Connexions. You will find the latest version there.